Napkin ring in solid silver handmade by Hart Silversmiths of Chipping Campden.
Approximate width 2.2cm; diameter 4.7cm.
In 1902 when C.R. Ashbee brought the Guild of Handicraft to Chipping Campden, amongst the Guildsmen was George Hart, born in 1882. As the craftsmen went their separate ways in 1908, the Guild was continued by George and three other partners, as he established his silversmith business in an old silk mill in Sheep Street. It is George’s grandson David who runs the business today, alongside the fourth generation; his son William and nephew Julian, to whom David has passed down his skills in the true tradition of the Guild. Also working with the Harts is Derek Elliott, who as an apprentice to David became a Freeman of the Goldsmiths Company in the classic way in 1987 and has worked for the company since leaving school.
A lot more information, including the design archive, videos and oral history, can be found at the Hart Silversmith Trust website. Also available from Plane & Saw is the wonderful book The Harts of Chipping Campden - the perfect pairing for a gift of Harts Silverware!